Wednesday, August 15

my grandpa


My grandpa passed away last week. It was sad and difficult and emotional and happened fast. I was able to share my favorite memories with him, laugh with him, and say goodbye to him before he passed. What a tender mercy that was and something I will always remember. 

This picture was displayed at his funeral yesterday. Nobody in the family had ever seen it before, but it has become an instant favorite for anyone who knew my grandpa and how much he loved my grandma. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and display it in my own home - a tribute to perhaps the sweetest and truest love, one that began over 60 years ago. 

My grandpa was a tease and a joker, but he knew what to take seriously. He valued the littlest joys and showed kindness to everyone. He made whoever he was talking to feel important, remembered, and loved. He lived a simple life, but just one look at his smiling face would tell you that he knew he lived the best kind of life. 

In the quiet moments since my grandpa's funeral I have reflected on what makes me happy and what I show the most appreciation for in this life. I want to live my life the way my grandpa lived his. I am so grateful that I had a close relationship with him and can always look to his example of compassion and love. He truly was an incredible man. 

I love you, Grandpa Jenkins.

2 comments:

BECKY said...

xoxo

Kathy Bradshaw said...

Such a sweet post about your grandpa.I can hear the love for him in your words.Sorry for your loss. Stopping by to say Hi.Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com New follower from Austin TX

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...