Monday, November 15

thankful for: service


This morning we woke up to (yet another) fresh blanket of snow outside, more than a few inches thick. As I walked up the stairs and looked at our backyard I saw not one, not two, but five people in thick coats, hats, and gloves shoveling our driveway. It only took a moment to realize it was my husband's family. I'm not sure what compelled them to come to our house early this morning and shovel our walkways, but I'm so grateful they did. Because of their service, Clay was able to stay inside this morning and spend a some time with Hallie before leaving for work instead of spending that time clearing the snow. It may not have seemed important to them, (in fact, I'm guessing for the three teenagers it seemed more like punishment than an act of kindness), but it truly brought tears to my eyes.

I am terrible at serving others. I get scared, feel foolish, or simply brush off the feeling of knowing I need to help someone other than myself. But what happened this morning reminds me how important it is to serve others, no matter who they are, no matter how big or small of a help I am being. I am thankful to my in-laws for teaching me that incredibly important lesson today.

1 comment:

BECKY said...

wow snow... i just fathom living in a place like that.
what a wonderful fam you married!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...